Social Subjects and RME
Welcome Message
Staff Members
Broad General Education (S1-3)
Geography
History
Modern Studies
RME
Scottish Studies and John Muir
Glow
History

Courses: National 4/5, Higher, Advanced Higher

 

History National 4 and 5

Aims of the course

The purpose of History is to provide learners with insights into their own lives and the society in which they live. By examining the past, they discover their heritage as members of a community, a country and the wider world. History provides learners with both a perspective on, and an understanding of, the forces which have shaped their own society and societies in other countries.

Course Details

National 4 and 5 History courses:

Unit 1: Historical Study Scottish.  Pupils will study one of a number of specified contexts on Scottish History. At Strathaven Academy our chosen area of study will be Immigrants and Exiles: Scotland, 1830s–1951.A study of the main immigrant groups and the impact they made on Scottish society. Pupils will also study the main reasons why many Scots felt the need to emigrate to parts of the British Empire and the impact on the countries they settled in.  

Unit 2: Historical Study: British. Pupils will study one of a number of specified contexts on British History. At Strathaven Academy our chosen area of study will be From the Cradle to the Grave? Social Welfare and Change in Britain, 1890s–1951.  During this course pupils will study the problems of the poor at the turn of the 19th century and policies the Liberal Government 1906-14 put in place to improve everyday life for the poor.  Pupils will also look at the impact World War 2 had on Britain and the social changes the war brought, not only during the war years but also in the post war era. 

Unit 3:  Historical Study European and World.  Pupils will study one of a number of specified contexts on European and World History.  At Strathaven Academy our chosen area of study will be Hitler and Nazi Germany 1919-1939.  During this course pupils will study the creation and disposal of the Weimar Republic.  Pupils will then study the rise of Hitler and the Nazis and study in depth their social and economic control of Germany. 

SQA exam
The final grade is worth 80 marks60 marks are based on the final exam paper (75% of final grade).  The other 20 marks (25% of final grade) are based on a History assignment. The assignment is a written report produced within one hour, under exam conditions.

 

[Back to Top]

Higher History

Aims of the course
To develop knowledge and understanding of the past which will prepare pupils for active participation in a modern democracy. To develop the skills of critical thinking by requiring pupils to evaluate the major events of the 20th century in Scotland, Britain and Europe. To develop communication skills such as analysis of sources, essay writing and the ability to draw reasoned conclusions from evidence.

Course details
In higher history we complete essays on a British and European unit.  At Startahven Academy we study Britain 1851-1951 and Germany 1815-1939.  We also study historical sources on a Scottish topic. At Strathaven Academy our pupils study in detail The Treaty of Union 1689-1740. 

SQA exam
The final grade is worth 90 marks60 marks are based on the final exam paper (67% of final grade).  The other 30 marks (33% of final grade) are based on a History assignment. The assignment is a written report produced within one and a half hours, under exam conditions.

 

[Back to Top]

Advanced Higher History

Aims of the course
The aims of the Advanced Higher History Course are to acquire depth in the knowledge and understanding of historical themes and to develop skills of analysing issues, developments and events, drawing conclusions and evaluating sources. These aims will be achieved through the study of a chosen context.
Candidates will study the Soviet Union:  1917-1953. Pupils will look at Russian politics from the abdication of the Tsar in 1917, the creation of a Communist Government led by Lenin and Stalin

SQA exam

The final Advanced History exam is worth 130 marks90 marks are based on the final exam paper (69% of final grade).  The other 40 marks (31% of final grade) are based on a 4000 word dissertation. Pupils prepare their dissertation over the course of the year.  This is externally marked.

Advanced Higher History pupils 2014-15.  What a great hard working bunch, 5 Grade A’s and 1 Grade B!

Advanced Higher History 2105-16

 

[Back to Top]